DuPage ROE LogoEducatorsCommunityDistricts



Past Superintendents



DuPage County
Regional Office of Education

421 North County Farm Road
Wheaton, IL 60187
630.407.5800

Outlook Web Access
Contact Us
Home




Home > Community > About Us > History

History of ROE

LEGISLATIVE DEVELOPMENT OF THE OFFICE

1829 The Sixth General Assembly mandated appointment of a Commissioner of School Lands.
1841 Title changed to County Commissioner and Ex-Officio County Superintendent of Schools.
1865 Legislature called for the election of the County Superintendent of Schools.
1973 Consolidation of smaller counties resulted in 78 regions.
1975 Title of Chief Administrative Officer of an educational service region changed to Regional Superintendent of Schools.
1977 Further consolidations resulted in current 57 regions in Illinois.
1995 Consolidations resulted in 45 Regional Offices of Education


LOCATION OF THE OFFICE SINCE 1927

1927 to October 17, 1938 Two rooms in the northwest corner of the Courthouse
1938 to November 3, 1959 Three rooms in Courhouse Annex - 2nd Floor
1959 to August 5, 1967 Seven rooms and a vault, which we used for a storeroom, in Hitchcock Building which later became the DuPage County Health Dept. Bldg., 222 E. Willow Ave., Wheaton
1967 to June, 1970 One large room with dividers, and six other rooms at 240 E. Willow Ave., Wheaton
1970 to February 16, 1973 DuPage County Airport Administrative Bldg. - 31W701 North Ave., West Chicago (2nd floor)
February 17, 1973 DuPage County Center, 421 N. County Farm Road, (2nd floor), Wheaton
1995 Consolidations resulted in 45 Regional Offices of Education